Wednesday 1 May 2013

Latest in Beauty CEW Discovery Box (UK)




This morning I received my Latest in Beauty CEW 2013 Beauty Awards Finalist's Discovery Box, 'the best way to discover top beauty brands and sample luxury products'.

I ordered this as soon as I could (midnight on Saturday) and got it today, Wednesday. I definitely didn't need any more beauty products but I couldn't resist this as its only £9.95 (plus £3.95 for p&p) for all ten of these items!

Firstly, the box is beautiful, their new design is sturdy, black with pink metallic font. Once opened, the box is crammed full of high quality products; this is what I received inside. 




Isn't that a sight for sore, tired morning eyes!

All the brands featured have won an award at the CEW Awards.

First up; 

Balance Me - Intensive Wrinkle Repair Cream
Finalist - Best British Brand




Balance Me's rich anti-aging cream with pure grade hyaluronic acid and spilanthes acmella flower extract, offers a visibly smoothing night treatment as well as a potent daily moisturiser. It addresses deep lines and wrinkles and strengthens the surface of the skin to encourage a radiant and youthful-looking complexion. 

Another Balance Me product - but I don't mind as I only have a couple of products from Balance Me. They do love using their products in beauty boxes though! I will be using this after I get through my mound of other moisturisers waiting to be used. It's a fairly small tube, but enough to make up your mind about it. It is the usual Balance Me packaging; white with coloured font and accents (purple-ly red on this one). It claims to 'encourage plump and more youthful-looking skin'.

My size - 10ml
Price for full size - £30.00 / 50ml

On Balance Me's site it says it cost £9.00 for 10ml!



Dr. Organic - Organic Morocaccan Argan Oil Hair Treatment Serum
Finalist: Best New Certified Organic Skincare Product






Produced with the finest Moroccan Argan Oil, this sumptuous but light hair treatment is instantly absorbed in the hair, resulting in a silky smooth finish with brilliant shine. With the heavenly scent of Patchouli, Cinnamon and Rosewood and the combination of African organic extracts including Kukui, Moringa and Sacha Inchi Seed Oils, the bioactive formulation leaves hair beautifully conditioned.
Detangles hair, eliminates frizz, nourishes & protects, instant shine.

Organic Moroccan Argan Oil is an incredibly rich source of vitamins, antioxidants and essential fatty acids. The natural properties of this amazing oil are combined with a number of organic essential oils and fruit extracts to create a fragrant, rich and absorbant hair treatment serum.

There were two choices for Dr. Organic - This Moroccan Argan Oil for hair, or Virgin Coconut Body Oil. I'm so happy I got the hair treatment - body oil is not really my thing plus I have long, dry hair that needs tackling. The packaging is lovely, a frosted glass bottle with a pump, I'm glad it wasn't broken in the post as glass is so delicate! I've included a photo of it in my hand so you can see just how big this is. It will last a long time.

My size - Full size
Price for full size - £14.99 / 100ml
Product linkhttp://images.drorganic.co.uk/

This really is a good deal if you consider that I only paid a tenner for this whole box, and this product by itself is worth more than the whole thing including p&p!



Elemis - Pro-Collagen Marine Cream
Finalist: Best Classic Beauty Product / Best British Brand




Elemis's revolutionary Pro-Collagen Marine Cream is our most popular and powerful anti-ageing moisturiser, selling one around the globe every minute. Celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, clinically proven to reduce the appearance of wrinkle depth by up to 78% and increase skin hydration and moisture levels by up to 45%, the Pro-Collagen Marine Cream is the ultimate moisturiser suitable for all skin types.

The powerful anti-ageing properties of the algae Padina Pavonica combined with Ginkgo Biloba, Rose and Mimosa Absolutes help to improve suppleness, firmness and elasticity whilst providing free-radical protection.

I have only tried Elemis a few times, and have always enjoyed their products. To be able to try this product that is truly hyped up, and very expensive is lovely and it is a generous sized sample too. This sample comes in a silver-grey tube with a metallic silver lid, very simple and elegant, however the full size is a screw-lid tub.

My size - 15ml
Price for full size - £79.00 / 50ml
Product link - http://www.timetospa.co.uk

£79.00 for this cream is a bit excessive; I would never pay that amount for a cream unless I had loads of money and it would have to be something magical. As I haven't tried it yet I don't know if its a miracle cream but at that price it surely has to be!

Elie Saab - Elie Saab Le Parfum Eau De Toilette
Finalist: Best New Women's Fragrance




As delicate as chiffon, the Eau de Toilette offers a feminine, radiant and addictive interpretation of the Elie Saab Le Parfum signature.
Elie Saab Le Parfum opens the doors to the Couturier's universe and offers a new way of wearing the exceptional. The fragrance opens with a souring harmony of delicately acidulated Mandarin blossoms. The heart unfolds into a veil of radiant crystalline white flowers, supported Gardenia and Orange blossom, and the delicious Rose Honey softness of the base envelops the skin like precious chiffon.

That's one explanation for it! This is just a beautiful scent and I'm actually tempted to buy the full size, even though I hardly ever buy perfume anymore due to money. It is really lady-like, its not too sweet and not too strong, very feminine. 

My size - 1ml
Price for full size - £49.00 / 50ml - £74.00 / 90ml (might not be completely accurate)
Product link - http://www.theperfumeshop.com

This lovely scent will definitely be my go-to fragrance until it finishes. It's my birthday soon so I might just treat myself to the full size!


Essential Care - Mineral Eye & Lip Pencils
Finalist: The Eco Beauty Award







Essential Care prides itself on the quality of its Organic Skincare and Beauty products, The intensely rich mineral eye and lip pencils glide on effortlessly to define and nourish the delicate eye and lip areas. Even the most sensitive skins can enjoy these 100% natural - 64% organic pencils, the first to be certified to Soil Association AND Fairtrade standards!

Again, there was a choice out of Mineral Mascara or Mineral Eye & Lip Pencil, and I'm very glad I got the pencil, as I have plenty of mascara I've been hoarding up and needing to use. My pencil colour was soft but fairly dark brown; I'll give this a miss for my lips but will definitely be using on my eyes and will try it out for my eyebrows - although I think it will be a bit too dark for them. I hardly ever use up a whole pencil, so this will last me for years. The gold accents are really pretty, especially the gold lid.

My size - Full size
Price for full size - £12.50

I'm intrigued to know how the other colours were; I saw on their site that there is 'Rose' and 'Black' too, also how the mascara is, feel free to let me know.


Lalique - Hommage a L'Homme
Finalist: Best New Men's Fragrance




Hommage a L'Homme, the newest Lalique fragrance, is dedicated to the romance of travel and absolute elegance. A woody fragrance blended with spicy and floral notes, it enhances the aura of a confident, seductive man. 

This men's fragrance is really gorgeous, very strong, spicy and woody. I really like that in a men's fragrance, such as Comme de Garcon's scents. I will give this to my man although I'm tempted to just keep this for myself! I don't mind wearing men's perfume as long as I love the scent. 

My size - 2ml
Price for full size - 87 euros / 100ml (around £73.00)
Product Link - http://www.lalique.com

Okay so a bit pricey but it is around double the size of a normal perfume size, if my boyfriend loved this then I would consider buying it for him. It's a very beautiful scent and for amount you would get then I think it is worth it. 


Melvita - Rose Nectar Range
Finalist: The Eco Beauty Award




Freshen and hydrate with Melvita's new Rose Nectar cleansing and moisturising products. The collection uses up to 7 different rose extracts to deliver maximum moisture to the skin and stimulate the skin aqua-porins - water micro-channels - to diffuse moisture through the cells leaving you feeling hydrated all day.

Rose Floral Water is obtained by distillation of Organic Rosa Damascena petals. Rose Floral Water is naturally astringent to help regulate sebum production as well as preventing the appearance of wrinkles and lines. Rose Floral Water is particularly suited for delicate and sensitive skin.

This is similar to a toner but in a spray form so you can easily spritz onto the face for a quick application and to freshen up. Also, this would be lovely to use to cool down on a hot summer day, or to soften dry skin. The rose scent is very noticeable, it isn't my favourite scent but refreshing and feminine at the same time. I've used Melvita before through Latest in Beauty and I've come to really enjoy using their products. The rose micellar water was their last product I've used, which I finished recently.

My size - 28ml
Price for full size - £14.50 / 200ml
Product link - http://uk.melvita.com



Mont Blanc - Legend Eau de Toilette
Finalist: Best New Men's Fragrance




A fresh fougere with top notes that are lively, bright and clean; heart notes that are magnetic, and a dry down that gives this unique fragrance its unforgettable signature.
MontBlanc are one of the world's most renowned luxury brands. This hundred-year-old brand has built it's reputation as a symbol of tradition, status and of exclusivity. MontBlanc fragrances are created with the same core values of elegance, precision and detail and the Legend Eau de Toilette is no exception.

I think this is a very pleasant, manly scent. I do prefer the Lalique, but this one isn't far behind. It is quite strong and lingers for while, but after it's worn off a bit it, it is possibly even nicer, not too strong but definitely not too subtle.

My size - 1.2ml
Price for full size - £25.00 / 30ml - £37.00 / 50ml - £57.00 / 100ml

I like how you are able to buy a small version for only £25, an excellent way of testing the product fully before committing to a large size (& price). I would also purchase this as a gift.


Nails Inc - Nail Varnish (in Portobello)
Finalist: Best British Brand






Nails Inc is the UK's leading fashion forward nail brand with a bestselling, highly sought after product range. Nails Inc provides the ultimate in affordable luxury and is famous for its innovative, catwalk inspired, professional nail products. 
Nails Inc's Neon range is available in 5 beautiful colours that look amazing in summer and really set off a tan. 

I received Portobello - a very bright, neon orange shade. Again, I'm really pleased I received this shade. I have plenty of pinks and hardly ever use them - just a bit too girly. Orange is a colour I've recently started loving; I've bought two new orange coloured lipsticks plus a couple of nail polish peachy-orange shades. This is a teeny size but I find I hardly ever use up a whole bottle of nail varnish - which is usually around 10 - 15 ml - so even though it's small, it will still last a while. I probably don't use up whole bottle because I have quite a large choice! I own many Nails Inc polishes - I do like the brand and the formula, although it can be a little thick at times (nothing Seche's Restore can't fix - post soon). 

My size - 4ml
Price for full size - £11.00 / 10ml
Product link - http://www.very.co.uk

When they say 'Neon Range', they really do mean neon. I haven't worn this shade on my nails yet, but trying it out on a some white card really shows how bright it is. From what I can see from my swatch, it looks like it has dried to a matte finish. If this really is matte then it is completely sold to me. I will possibly give a full review on this at a later date. I've included a photo of the bottle next to a lighter so you can get some reference on what size it is.


Weleda - Sea Buckthorn Replenishing Body Lotion
Finalist: Best New Certified Organic Skincare Product




The Sea Buckthorn Replenishing Body Lotion with a composition of purest natural caring and essential oils, intensively revitalises the skin. The embracing, caring lotion energises the body, mind and spirit and leaves behind a skin that feels strengthened and protected. Protects skin from moisture loss and activates it's self-regulating functions and the fresh, fruity fragrance invigorates the senses. 
Weleda's new organic body lotions are specially formulated with plants and fruits that activates the skin's vital processes to make it indulgently soft, radiant and smooth. Rich in pure oils, these luscious new lotions beautiful scent and nurture your skin. 

The choices were out of this lotion, or the Wild Rose Pampering Body Lotion. Again, I'm so glad that I got this choice. I've got loads of Rose products from beauty boxes etc; and to be honest it's not my first choice. This has a lovely orange scent, which is amazingly similar to Weleda's Cellulite Oil, which I received two samples from LIB a few months back. I love that scent; unique for a body lotion. The colour was creamy with a slight orange/yellow tinge. As the name suggests, it is a lotion, so it isn't thick or rich like a body butter or cream.  I like the consistency as it's easy to rub in and also absorbs amazingly quickly, whilst still leaving the refreshing zesty, zingy fragrance on your skin. The sample size is alright - 20ml is a little stingy for body cream as you use quite a lot each time, and I am paying for it after all. 

My size - 20ml
Price for full size - £15.95 / 200ml
Product link - http://www.weleda.co.uk

When they said it invigorates the senses, they really meant it - it wakes you up!
One thing I will point out too is on their website they have a selection of different scents for this body lotion, and each one is a different price even though they all contain the same amount of product. For instance, the Citrus Hydrating lotion is £13.95, the Wild Rose Pampering lotion is £19.95 and the Pomegranate Regenerating is £21.95. So some people's boxes will be worth more as the Rose one is more expensive, however I don't mind as I really like this lotion. Apologies for the dramatic colour change in the photographs. The top photo is more colour accurate of the tube but neither is completely correct.


Phew, there you go! 

That took me all day, but I hope it is informative enough for you to make your choice about whether you want it or not! I don't work for Latest in Beauty or get paid by anyone for this review, so it is 100% my honest opinion. This box is one of the best I've ever had, or the best, and it's such a bargain. I'm a little bit addicted to just trying out new products and every so often I come across a gem. LIB is great for 'try before you buy', and I think I've ordered almost all of their products now! If you want to buy this Discovery Box, it's still available on the LIB website; http://www.latestinbeauty.com/youcew/. You should definitely check out their luxury samples, little beauty boxes, and collections while you're at it. LIB and YOUmag should definitely collab again - December's Advent Calender was just amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment